Beef Rendang with Broccoli
Serve with mashed sweet potatoes, if desired.Per serving: 236 calories, 12 g fat, 39 mg cholesterol, 14 g carbs, 490 mg sodium, 18 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber
- Servings: 6
Photography: Richard Gerhard Jung
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2001
- 1 recipe Lemongrass Paste Lemongrass Paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 recipe Curry Powder Curry Powder
- 2 medium leeks (about 8 ounces)
- 16 ounces lean flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- One 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium fat-free beef broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 head broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets
Combine lemongrass paste with salt and curry powder. Set aside.
Halve leeks lengthwise; cut across into 1/2-inch-wide half-circles. Place in a large bowl of cold water; swish around to release dirt. Place in colander to drain. Place steak in a bowl; sprinkle with flour. Toss to coat; set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add curry paste; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add beef; saute until browned. Add coconut milk, water, beef stock, and broccoli. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is just tender, about 5 minutes more. Uncover; cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes more.