Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
Browning the chicken seals in the juices and keeps the inside moist and flavorful. Serve this over Oven-Baked Creamy Polenta.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced 1/2-inch-thick
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high. Add chicken, and cook until light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and garlic, and season with salt. Cover; and cook over medium heat until mushrooms release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add wine, and cook, stirring, until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth and parsley, cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms are tender and liquid is reduced, 8 to 10 minutes.
Return chicken to skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms, and drizzled with cooking liquid. Garnish with chopped parsley.