Chicken, Rice, and Black-Bean Salad
To make a Southwestern-style salad that's a meal in itself, toss together chicken, rice, beans, and tomatoes with a light, spicy dressing.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2005
- 1 cup brown (or white) rice
- 1 cooked chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired), minced
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
Cook rice according to package instructions. Spread on a baking sheet; refrigerate until cool.
Place cooled rice in a large bowl; add chicken, beans, tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, vinegar, oil, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.