Aioli is an emulsified sauce, meaning that liquids that don't usually combine -- such as oil and water or, in this case, oil, lemon juice, and vinegar -- are blended together.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1991
- 1 egg
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine egg, garlic, lemon juice, and vinegar in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 10 seconds. With machine running, add oil one drop at a time through feed tube until mixture emulsifies. Slowly add remaining oil in a steady stream. Season with salt and pepper.