Chef Pasquale Martinelli uses this tomato sauce for his recipe for baccala (cod baked in spicy tomato sauce).
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes enough for 4 servings
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2007
- 2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
Place tomatoes in the jar of a blender or the bowl of a food processor; blend or process until pureed. Place olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook until translucent. Add tomato puree, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.