To make the stock weeks in advance, ask your butcher for the necessary neck and giblets (sans turkey), or substitute about five pounds of turkey wings, thighs, and drumsticks.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Neck, heart, and gizzard from turkey
- 3 celery stalks, halved crosswise
- 3 carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, halved
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 12 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
Heat oil in a stockpot on high. Add turkey parts, and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover partially. Simmer gently, skimming foam from surface as needed, for two hours.
Pour stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding solids. Place bowl in an ice-water bath to cool. Stock can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.