Easy Giblet Stock
To make the stock weeks in advance, ask your butcher for the necessary neck and giblets (sans turkey), or substitute about five pounds of turkey wings, thighs, and drumsticks.
- Yield: Makes about 9 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Neck, heart, and gizzard from turkey
- 3 celery stalks, halved crosswise
- 3 carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, halved
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 12 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
Heat oil in a stockpot on high. Add turkey parts, and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover partially. Simmer gently, skimming foam from surface as needed, for two hours.
Pour stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding solids. Place bowl in an ice-water bath to cool.