Canned cranberry beans may be sustituted for dried.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, (about 5 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 eggplant, (about 14 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, (about 7 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned
- 2 fourteen-and-a-half-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup canned cranberry beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces colored pasta shells, cooked
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
In a stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, shallot, garlic, pepper, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, celery, and carrots; saute, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add eggplant, red pepper, and zucchini; saute until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes more. Add chicken stock and canned tomatoes, and bring to a boil, stirring to break up the tomatoes. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Add beans and pasta; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.