Grilled Chicken and Escarole Sandwich with White-Bean Spread
You can make the white-bean spread ahead of time; store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to three days. The chicken will need to marinate for at least two hours before being grilled.
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast, (about 12 ounces), split and pounded to 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup drained jarred or canned white beans, (reserve 1/4 cup liquid)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 4 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced escarole
Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil. Brush marinade onto both sides of chicken. Transfer chicken to a nonreactive dish; cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Put remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the garlic into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic has softened, about 2 minutes. Add beans and reserved liquid, and rosemary. Cook, mashing beans with the back of a wooden spoon, 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover, and set aside
Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add chicken. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a plate; let cool slightly. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices; set aside.
Toast bread. Spread each slice with white-bean spread, dividing evenly. Top 4 slices with the chicken, radishes, and escarole, and then the remaining bread.