Peas With Nitrate-Free Bacon and Fresh Herbs
Sweet peas get a smoky, salty bite of bacon and a fresh addition of herbs like dill, mint, and chives in this family-friendly side.
- Servings: 6
Source: Body+Soul, November/December 2005
- 6 slices nitrate-free bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 20 ounces frozen petite/baby peas or fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Cook bacon in a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat; heat over medium heat.
Add peas, dill, mint, 1 tablespoon of the chives, water, salt, and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Stir in butter, bacon, and remaining tablespoon of chives.