Homemade Turkey Stock
Make this stock the day before you cook the turkey; remove the neck and giblets, and return the bird to the refrigerator. If the liver has a small green sac (the gallbladder) attached, remove it completely.
- Yield: Makes 5 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- Turkey neck and giblets, (heart, gizzard, and liver), reserved from turkey
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 6 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
Rinse neck and giblets well. Combine all ingredients and 7 cups water in a medium stockpot. Place over high heat; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, and simmer stock 1 1/2 hours, skimming off foam that floats to the top as needed.
Pass the stock through a cheesecloth-lined sieve; discard the solids. Let stock cool, and refrigerate until ready to use.