Fusilli With Broccoli and Chicken
Serve four food groups in one delicious dish: corkscrew pasta with broccoli, chicken, and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Servings: 10
Photography: Minh + Wass
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets
- 1 pound fusilli pasta, (or similar size pasta, such as ziti)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with the flat side of a knife
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken; let cool. Using a fork, shred meat into bite-size pieces. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add broccoli, and cook until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain, and pat dry with paper towels. Add pasta to boiling water; cook until al dente. Drain.
Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add cooked broccoli and the garlic. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken and cooked pasta. Cook 1 minute more. Remove garlic cloves. Transfer pasta mixture to a large platter. Serve with cheese.