Fried Apple Fritters
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and 3/4 cup water in another bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir to combine (batter will be lumpy).
Heat about 4 inches oil in a medium cast-iron or heavy stockpot until it registers 360 degrees.on a deep-fry thermometer. Dredge apple rings into flour, shaking off excess; then dip into batter. Working in small batches, fry, flipping once, until dark golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. (Adjust heat between batches as needed to keep oil at a steady temperature.) Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.