These veggie burgers get their rich, earthy flavor from mushrooms and nutty quinoa, and are topped with sharp radish sprouts and cool cucumbers. Greek yogurt is a zesty Mediterranean replacement for ketchup. Serve these with our Golden-Beet Salad as a side dish.
- Servings: 6
Photography: James Wojcik
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2008
- 2 portobello mushrooms (8 ounces), stems removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup minced shallot (1 large shallot)
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions (2 cups cooked)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 6 whole-wheat buns, split
- Yogurt-Garlic Sauce for Veggie Burgers
- 1 cup radish sprouts, or other fresh sprouts
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped, and transfer to a bowl. Shred zucchini, place on paper towels, and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Add to mushrooms.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add shallot and red-pepper flakes, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add Parmesan, quinoa, and salt. Season with pepper. Let cool completely, then stir in egg and breadcrumbs. Cover, and refrigerate until cold and firm, about 1 hour.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Shape mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, pressing firmly. Cook in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
Wipe pan clean, and return to medium heat. Brush cut sides of buns with oil, and heat buns, cut sides down, until toasted, about 1 minute. Spread yogurt-garlic sauce on cut sides of bun halves. Divide burgers, sprouts, and cucumber among bottom halves. Sandwich with top halves.