Chicken with Artichokes
This delicious recipe for chicken with artichokes is from the cookbook "Lidia's Italy" by Lidia Bastianich.
- 1 1/2 pounds small artichokes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds, rinsed and patted dry, cut into 10 to 12 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon peperoncino flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can canned Italian plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, crushed by hand
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Trim pointy tips from artichokes and cut in half or in wedges, about 1 1/2 inches wide. Fill a bowl with water, and add lemon juice. Place artichokes in water until ready to use.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 6-to-7-quart heavy-bottomed, Dutch-oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and add to the pot without crowding, working in batches. Cook chicken, turning once, until browned, 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a platter or bowl; set aside. Drain any fat that has accumulated in the pot.
Add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil to the Dutch-oven. When oil is hot, add garlic and cook until sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove artichokes from water and add directly to the pot; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and peperoncino. Cook, stirring often, until dry and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add wine and cook over high heat, stirring, until wine is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes to the Dutch oven along with 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil. Cook sauce for 15 minutes.
Return chicken to the Dutch oven and submerge in the sauce. Cover and continue cooking until chicken is just cooked through, artichokes are tender, and sauce has evaporated slightly, about 45 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.