Patrick O'Connell's Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 6 mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt
Place all ingredients in a large stockpot with enough water to cover; season with salt. Bring to a simmer over high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Immediately remove pot from heat and let steep for 45 minutes.
Strain stock, discarding solids, and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.