Peanut sauces are common accompaniments to Thai and Indonesian dishes. Use this as a dipping sauce for chicken and beef satay. Sambal is available at Asian markets.
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sambal (Indonesian chile paste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coconut milk, or water, to thin
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
In a blender or food processor, combine peanut butter, oil, soy sauce, garlic, sambal, and sugar until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste.
With machine running, add coconut milk or water until sauce reaches desired consistency. Garnish with scallion slices. Serve.