- Yield: Makes about 3 pints
- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, scrubbed, ends trimmed, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, onion, ice cubes, and salt. Toss to combine. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain. Rinse well, and drain again.
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, peppercorns, and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture, and return to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Ladle pickles into clean jars. Let stand until cool. Cover, and store, refrigerated, for up to 1 month.