Cocoa Shortbread Diamonds
These cookies are perfect when paired with a cold glass of milk. To decorate, use a spoon to drizzle the melted white chocolate, or a resealable plastic bag with a snipped corner.
- Yield: Makes about 14
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces best-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pulse flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter and vanilla, and process until mixture comes together. Shape the dough into a ball.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick; cut out shapes with a 3 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch diamond-shape cookie cutter. Space 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on wire racks.
Melt white chocolate, stirring, in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Drizzle chocolate over tops of cookies. Let set before serving, about 30 minutes.