Potato and Greens Soup
If you want to make the soup ahead of time, prepare through step 3. Reheat and stir in the greens just before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 bunch leeks, thoroughly rinsed and thinly sliced
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade (or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 white potatoes (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 bunch arugula or other bitter greens, such as curly endive or escarole, washed
Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat. Add leeks and stir well. Cover and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add potatoes and bring back to a simmer. Cook until tender but not mushy, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat.
Ladle about 3 cups of soup into a blender (don't fill more than half full). Hold the lid on with a dish towel to prevent splattering, and blend until smooth. Return pureed soup to saucepan, stir to combine, and bring back to a simmer. Season to taste.
Stir in greens. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted and bright green, and serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 1999