Rice Noodles with Scallions and Herbs
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2008
- 8 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sliced fresh red chile, preferably Thai bird chile
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 scallions, dark-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 large leaves Boston or Bibb lettuce, very thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup each fresh mint and basil leaves, torn into small pieces
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook vermicelli, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mushy, about 4 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water. Let vermicelli drain in colander for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
Combine water, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chile.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and scallions, and cook for 10 seconds. Remove from heat.
Toss scallion mixture with noodles in a serving bowl. Add lettuce, carrot, and herbs, and toss. Serve sauce on the side.