Puff pastry is sold in the frozen-food section of supermarkets. It comes in rolled sheets. When making these "pillows," cut dough along the folds to prevent uneven rising.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, from standard package (17 1/4 ounces), thawed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 bananas (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on diagonal
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll pastry to 1/8 inch thick; cut out four 5-inch squares. Place on a parchment-lined baking pan; bake about 15 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven; set aside to cool.
Place butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a saute pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until butter and sugar are melted and combined, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream until mixture is smooth. Add bananas; gently stir until coated. Remove from heat.
Using a paring knife, remove and discard a 2-inch square from top center of reserved pillows; keep bottom intact. Fill with banana mixture. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve.