Fresh cilantro, pickled jalapenos, and sliced avocado give Sloppy Joes a Southwestern accent.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can tomato puree (14.5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger rolls, cut into mini buns
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno chiles
- 2 hoagie rolls, split in half
- 1/2 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
For the Kids (Serves 2): In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, breaking apart pieces with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add pureed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Reserve half the beef mixture for the adults. Divide remaining evenly among the mini buns (2 per serving).
For the Adults (Serves 2): Stir cilantro and jalapenos into the reserved beef mixture. Dividing evenly, spoon over bottom halves of rolls; top with avocado slices.