Fresh Tomato Salsa
In the height of tomato season, making a fresh salsa to go with those tortilla chips is a must.
- Yield: Makes 3 1/2 cups
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes (6 to 8), cored, halved, and seeded
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chile (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired), minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Coarse salt
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
Chop tomatoes into 1/4-inch pieces; transfer to a medium bowl. Add onion, chile, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice; season generously with salt. Mix to combine. Let stand 15 minutes to develop flavor. Salsa can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.