Under 30 Minutes
The ingredients in this vegetarian burger require no precooking. Simply combine them in a food processor and cook.
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, trimmed
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1/3 cup peanuts or almonds, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Whole-wheat English muffins and lettuce, to serve with burgers
Heat grill to high. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, scallions, bread, peanuts, cumin, and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Pulse until roughly chopped. Remove half the mixture to a bowl; add egg to food processor. Process until smooth; add to reserved mixture in bowl, and mix well.
Form the mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Brush each side generously with oil; grill until charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the burgers on English muffins with lettuce, mustard, and mayonnaise.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2003