Our Salade Nicoise includes small red potatoes, celery, and radishes in addition to traditional ingredients, such as tuna, olives, hard-boiled eggs, anchovies, green beans, and tomatoes.
- Servings: 8
Photography: James Merrell
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2001
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 six-ounce can water-packed solid white tuna, drained
- 3 ounces Nicoise or other olives (about 24)
- 8 anchovies (optional)
Whisk together shallot, capers, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add green beans, and cook until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain; plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain again, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside. Refill saucepan with cold water, and add potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes; let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Place in a bowl; toss with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette; set aside. Place eggs in a small saucepan of cold water. Bring to a boil; cover. Remove from heat. Set aside for 11 minutes. Rinse in cold water; peel; cut into wedges; set aside.
To assemble, arrange lettuce on individual plates. Arrange green beans, potato salad, sliced eggs, celery, tomatoes, radishes, tuna, olives, and anchovies, if using. Drizzle with remaining dressing, and serve.