This crisp has a loose and juicy filling. If you would prefer a thicker filling, add an extra teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2009
For the Filling
- 6 cups (3 pints) blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or chopped nuts, such as almonds)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the filling: Mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish.
Make the topping: Stir together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir dry ingredients into butter. Using your hands, squeeze topping pieces together into clumps.
Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake until bubbling in center and brown on top, about 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 30 minutes before serving.