Rigatoni with Cauliflower, Saffron, and Raisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 7 anchovy fillets, minced
- 3 tablespoons capers, (optional)
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1 cup Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat, or white wine
- 1 medium head cauliflower, rinsed and trimmed to 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound dried rigatoni
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
Cover raisins with warm water in a bowl. Cook garlic and oil in a skillet over medium-low heat until garlic begins to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add pepper flakes, anchovies, capers, saffron, and stock. Stir, cook until combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and raisins; season with salt and black pepper. Cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Uncover; let liquid reduce slightly over high heat, 1 to 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook rigatoni in salted boiling water until just tender. Drain; toss into warm cauliflower mixture. Just before serving, tear basil leaves, and toss into pasta along with pine nuts.