Strata with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
You can prepare the strata up to a day ahead and let the bread soak overnight in the refrigerator. (If it is refrigerated overnight, it may need to cook a few minutes longer.)
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, December 2003
- 8 ounces Italian sausage (about 3), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (if very dry, soaked in hot water and drained first)
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 to 8 ounces Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add onion; cook. Stirring, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer to a plate; let cool until barely warm.
Butter an 8-inch-square baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange half the bread in a slightly overlapping layer in bottom of dish. Scatter half the sausage mixture and then half the cheese over the bread. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese, pressing firmly. Pour egg mixture over layers. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, until puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.