Roasted Fall Vegetables
With just salt, pepper, a bit of oil, and a hot oven, nearly every vegetable becomes sublime.
- 2 pounds (about 1 medium) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds red new potatoes (12 to 14), well scrubbed and quartered
- 1 pound medium red onions (about 2 to 3), peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots (6 to 8 medium), halved lengthwise, if thick, and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide vegetables and garlic between two rimmed baking sheets (or line with parchment paper, if desired, for easy cleanup); dividing evenly, toss with oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, tossing them and rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Serve hot or at room temperature.