Under 30 Minutes
Cherries with Cinnamon Dumplings
Be careful not to overmix the batter for the dumplings; it should be wet and lumpy.
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
Combine cherries and 1/3 cup sugar in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer rapidly until syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining tablespoon sugar; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir in milk, mixing just until a wet dough forms.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Spoon tablespoons of dough (you should have about 18) over simmering fruit; sprinkle all with cinnamon-sugar.
Cover skillet; simmer very gently until dumplings are set and dry to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2005