Spinach Linguine with Ham and Broccoli
With only small amounts of ham and good-quality Parmesan cheese, we've added lots of flavor to this dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: William Meppem
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2004
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 10 ounces spinach linguine
- 1 head broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick, florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a 3-quart heavy-bottom saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add ham, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.
Stir in milk, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese; cook until melted, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions, adding broccoli during final 3 minutes. Drain; transfer pasta and broccoli to a large bowl. Add cream-cheese sauce and Parmesan, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.