Corn and Butternut Squash Chowder
Usher in the fall season with this warming vegetarian soup, a recipe courtesy of Jonathan Parks from Brooklyn, New York.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2009
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. In a blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low (do not boil).