Under 30 Minutes
Seared Salmon with Oranges and Fennel
Not only does the salmon take mere minutes to cook, but a refreshing seasonal topping also turns it into a sophisticated supper.
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, and segmented, plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 small fennel bulb (stalks removed), halved lengthwise, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise, fronds reserved for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
In a medium bowl, combine orange segments and juice, fennel, olives, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper, and toss gently. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium. Add salmon, flat side down; cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn salmon; cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 3 minutes more. Serve salmon topped with orange mixture; garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, January/February 2008