Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
Be sure to use canned pumpkin puree -- not pumpkin pie filling or fresh pumpkin puree.
For the Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
For the Honey Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 bar (8 ounces) regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
Make Honey Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.
Spread top of cooled cake with honey frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2005