Under 30 Minutes
Adding cornmeal to the spice coating gives the fish a crisp crust in the broiler, without having to fry in oil.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 (about 1 1/2 pounds) catfish fillets
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
Heat broiler; coat the rack of a broiler pan with cooking spray. In a shallow bowl, stir together cornmeal, paprika, thyme, cayenne, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper.
Dredge fillets in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat. Shake off excess, and place on prepared rack; broil until opaque throughout and blackened on the outside, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2005