- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick wedges
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar. Place pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture. Carefully roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out eight 3 inch squares, and place on a parchment- lined baking sheet. Cover with more parchment and another baking sheet. Chill in freezer until firm, about 15 minutes.
Bake pastry in oven until crisp and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove top parchment and baking sheet. Transfer, with bottom parchment, to a wire rack, and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until foam subsides. Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add remaining cinnamon mixture. Cook until apples are tender but not falling apart. Let cool completely. To assemble, top the pastry with whipped cream then apples; repeat with another layer of each. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October Fall 2003