Breaded fish sticks are a surefire kid-pleaser nestled inside a flour tortilla with sweet red pepper; serve with tartar sauce.
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches in diameter)
- 3/4 pound flounder or sole fillets, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
- 1/2 medium head green-leaf lettuce
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Stir together breadcrumbs, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium shallow bowl; set aside. Arrange tortillas on a baking sheet in overlapping rows; set aside.
Dip fish strips into egg mixture; then dredge them in breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat completely. Transfer to a plate.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet until hot but not smoking. Fry fish strips until golden, about 1 minute per side. Transfer fish to baking sheet with tortillas; keep warm in oven.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a saute pan until hot but not smoking. Add bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
Divide reserved fish, bell peppers, and lettuce among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges and tartar sauce, if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Kids, Early Summer