Under 30 Minutes
Beef Tacos with Radish and Avocado Salsa
To clean radishes, place them in a bowl of cold water; swish around. Drain, and dry on paper towels. Before rinsing radishes with leafy tops, trim greens down to about 1 inch. Then with the tip of a sharp knife, scrape around the base of the greens, and pinch off the tiny root.
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 6 large red radishes, ends trimmed, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno chile
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice plus 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, for garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
Heat broiler, with rack 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. In a medium bowl, gently stir together avocado, radishes, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and oil; season with salt. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly against surface of salsa (to prevent discoloring); set aside.
Arrange steak on prepared baking sheet. Rub both sides with cumin; season generously with salt and pepper. Broil without turning until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board; tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
While the steak is broiling, stack and wrap tortillas in a dampened kitchen towel; microwave until hot and pliable, 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, wrap in foil, and warm in oven in lower third, 5 minutes.)
Cut steak crosswise into 2-inch-wide pieces; slice thinly on the diagonal. Dividing evenly, place beef on tortillas; top with salsa. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2006