This cooling Greek condiment helps soothe the heat of spicy dishes.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Photography: GENTL & HYERS
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1996
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups Homemade Yogurt, or prepared
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a colander, toss together cucumbers and 1 teaspoon salt. Place colander in sink, and let cucumbers drain for 20 to 30 minutes.
Press cucumbers to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl; mix in yogurt, garlic, dill, mint, oil, lemon juice, and remaining teaspoon salt. Refrigerate about 1 hour to allow flavors to blend; serve at room temperature.