This cool, creamy yogurt condiment can be used as a dip for crudite, or in place of sour cream as a topping for cold soups, such as borscht.
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and grated (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
Toss cucumber with salt in a colander, and let drain for 20 minutes. Press lightly to extract excess water, then transfer cucumber to a medium bowl. Stir in yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, and dill. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 1 day).