Green Salad with Carrot-Cumin Dressing
Freshly made or store-bought, carrot juice is packed with beta-carotene, iron, and potassium and adds health benefits to this salad dressing. In recipes, use it in place of other liquids to make sauces, quick breads, and more.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (about 1 pound), cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup green pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
In a small skillet, bring juice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce and onion; toss to coat. Serve, sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.
To make pumpkin seeds, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add pumpkin seeds; cook, tossing until puffed and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Makes 1/3 cup.