Under 30 Minutes
Spaghetti with Chicken and Peppers
We made this Thai-inspired dish with whole-wheat spaghetti, but Asian noodles, such as soba or somen, would be a good substitute.
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 10 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 head napa cabbage, cored and shredded, for serving (optional)
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, bring broth, garlic, and red-pepper flakes to a simmer. Cook until garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and stir in lime juice, ketchup, soy sauce, and sugar.
Add pasta, chicken, bell pepper, cilantro, and salt to the bowl, and toss to combine with the sauce. Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2004