Spaghetti with Three-Tomato Sauce
Pasta plus five other ingredients (and a little salt) makes a great meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil (from oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water; return the pasta to the pot.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons tomato oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes with juice and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer gently over medium, stirring occasionally and breaking up canned tomatoes until thick, 15 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes; simmer until soft, 10 minutes.
Add tomato mixture to the pasta; season with salt and pepper. Toss, adding pasta water as desired. Serve immediately.