Tofu Stir-Fry with Noodles
If you don't have any leftover pasta, cook 6 ounces of spaghetti until al dente, according to package instructions; drain, and rinse under cool water.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2005
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 small head green cabbage (2 pounds), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Leftover spaghetti from Tomato-Garlic Spaghetti
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat; add tofu and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, cabbage, garlic, pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Cover; cook, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl (or liquid measuring cup), stir together peanut butter and 1/4 cup hot water until smooth; stir in soy sauce and vinegar.
Add tofu, leftover spaghetti, and sauce to skillet; simmer until heated through and saucy, 1 to 2 minutes.