Baked Chicken Fingers
Unprocessed bran and wheat germ are rich in fiber and vitamins; flax seed has heart-healthy omega-3s. Find them at health-food stores or in the cereal aisle of many supermarkets.
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup unprocessed bran
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders (about 16)
- Barbecue sauce, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, combine wheat germ, bran, breadcrumbs, flax seed, Parmesan, onion and garlic powders, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pulse to combine. Add oil; pulse to combine. Transfer crumb mixture to a large bowl.
Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs. Dip chicken in eggs (allowing excess to drip off), then dredge in crumb mixture, patting to adhere. Place on rack, and transfer to oven.
Bake until chicken is opaque throughout, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve with barbecue sauce, if desired.