Thai Beef Salad
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 fresh Thai or serrano chile (about 1 tablespoon), seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 4 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 kirby cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 12 ounces baby arugula (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boneless sirloin steak (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make dressing: Whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, chile, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cilantro and mint. Set aside. Toss together scallions, shallots, cucumbers, and arugula in a large bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Sprinkle steak all over with salt; season with pepper. Brown steak, turning once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven; cook steak to desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer steak to a cutting board, and let stand at least 5 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Add steak to salad. Drizzle with dressing, and toss. Sprinkle with peanuts.