Brown Rice with Tofu, Dried Mushrooms, and Baby Spinach
Brown rice becomes a protein-filled vegetarian dish when steamed with tofu and spinach.
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 ounce sliced dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dried red chile, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces baby spinach (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions (about 6), white and pale-green parts only
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Stir together rice, 3 cups water, the mushrooms, tofu, ginger, garlic, chile, and salt in the bowl of a rice cooker. Cover with lid, and cook until machine switches to the warm setting (about 45 minutes). Let rice stand 15 minutes to finish steaming.
Stir in spinach. Cover, and let steam 1 minute with machine still on warm. Stir in scallions, cilantro, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2006