Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Tahini-Mint Marinade
You can also use this marinade on rib or loin chops.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Anita Calero
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- 3 1/4 pounds shank, half of a butterflied leg of lamb
- 3 lemons, thinly sliced
- Fresh mint, for garnish
For the marinade, combine first 9 ingredients and 4 tablespoons water in a blender; process until smooth.
Place lamb in a nonreactive dish; add marinade. Turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate up to overnight. If refrigerated, let lamb return to room temperature before grilling.
Brush a grill with oil; heat to medium hot. Remove excess marinade from lamb. Grill until well browned, 12 to 16 minutes; turn and cook 12 to 16 minutes more, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees in thickest part (for medium rare). Grill lemon slices for garnish. Transfer lamb to a cutting board; let stand 15 minutes. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Serve with grilled lemon and fresh mint.