Shiitake Fried Rice
This popular dish tastes better made with leftover rice or rice made a day or so before and refrigerated. Bring the rice to room temperature before using.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, December 2005
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced diagonally
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 ounces snow peas, strings removed and halved crosswise
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm 1 teaspoon oil. Add eggs; swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook until set, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, thinly slice.
Add remaining oil and onion to pan; cook, stirring, until translucent, 2 to 4 minutes. Add carrots; cook, stirring, until they begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add mushrooms; cook, stirring until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and snow peas; cook, stirring, until snow peas are vibrant green, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add rice, soy sauce, and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in sliced egg.