Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1999
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until shallots are caramelized and tender but still retain some crunch, about 10 minutes; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine mustard and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until combined; stir in shallots.